1st: info on where you'll find some FUN Chinese New Year celebrations!
2nd: Break it down how my sweetheart and I did dineLA as not from LA (with pics below)!
LAST DAY to take advantage of dineLA Restaurant Week deals!
Coincidentally, the last day of dineLA is ALSO Chinese New Year, and LA is celebrating in several ways! Because I'm from Orange County, LA is close enough that you get to enjoy LA events, but you still have to kinda plan your day there if you wanna make the most of it since it's going to take you maybe 1 hr driving there & 1 hr driving back (with no traffic...). Basically, if I'm going to LA, then let's REALLY make it worth it with an adventure!
My darling Physicist and I kinda turn LA trips into a fun, adventurous all day date.
Here's info on where and when for some Chinese New Year events in LA!
- We're gonna leave OC around noon to make it up to LA for dineLA lunch
- THEN we're going to check out some fashion trunk shows that are happening in LA
- THEN we'll enjoy some dineLA dinner somewhere else in LA
- And you can be sure to find us at one of the many Chinese New Year celebrations happening in town!
CHINATOWN CHINESE NEW YEAR FESTIVAL & GOLDEN DRAGON PARADE
OF COURSE, Chinatown is going to be THE place to be! Chinatown celebrations will be Feb 1 & 2.
The rest are Chinese New Year celebrations that are going on tomorrow, during dineLA's last day!
WISHING TREE AT THE BEVERLY CENTER
- Jan 31-Feb 28
- Sign the Wishing Tree and take pics to tag #beverlycenterstyle for chances to win. Also, they have a tradition of giving special red envelopes full of a random gift card from one of the retailers there to the people who drop at least $500 & show proof of their receipt to Guest Services.
HILTON LOS ANGELES/UNIVERSAL CITY – CAFÉ SIERRA BUFFET (THE VALLEY)
- Jan 31 & Feb 1
- Seriously, they are having a super special AYCE buffet that looks sooooo tempting, but we're already set on doing lunch and dinner at dineLA. Feel free to check it our for yourself, though!
SANTA MONICA PLACE SIX-DAY CELEBRATION
- Jan 31-Feb 14
- They will also have a Wishing Tree, traditional Chinese dragon, live performances, food tastings by the restaurants there, Mandarin-speaking greeters, etc. Check out their website for the specific days and times.
- 130-4 PM and 6-830 PM on Jan 31-Feb 2; Feb 8-Feb 9; and Feb 14.
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD LUNAR NEW YEAR
- Jan 25-Feb 4
- If you're going to Universal Studios, they're celebrating in their own way with a Mandarin-speaking MEGATRON on the Transformers Ride, characters dressed up in traditional Chinese attire, gorgeous decorations, lanterns galore, and traditional music, etc.
THE GROVE & THE AMERICANA AT BRAND
- Jan 24-Feb 16
- Social media contests, shopping deals, promos, traditional performances, special festivities, etc. $50 gift card to the people who take pics and tag #LunarGrove or #LunarAmericana and get the most likes + featured on their feeds.
Here are some resources to help you plan your Chinese New Year:
LA Magazine, talking about a few restaurant special events
BREAK IT DOWN, NOW! How we turned dineLA into a whole day of fun!
We left OC to go have brunch/lunch at one of our new favorite bakery-cafes, Portro's in Downey. You wouldn't believe what a good deal all of these pastries and potato balls are unless you saw them for yourself!
|Miam! Blueberry cupcakes! Excuse my double chin haha|
|Cappuccino was perfectly frothy!|
NOW ONTO THE NEXT PART OF LA: THE SPACE SHUTTLE!
|I should have worn a navy polka dot dress & Ryan should have worn an orange space suit, then we could be Armageddon haha!|
It's free at the California Science Center in LA, near USC (actually, right next to The Los Angeles Coliseum).
|Weee twirling in front of the Endeavour|
He's an Astrophysicist, so he was super happy to see some love for his field!
|Awww look at how happy he is!|
|Precursor to the Mars Rover:Viking 1. It's so cute!|
Among some other things you might see at the California Science Center...
|This was a morphing mural (lenticular) that changed as you moved. I ran up and down the hall like a little kid.|
We planned on getting an aperitif (before dinner drink) somewhere with Happy Hour close to our dineLA restaurant, but thanks to LA traffic, it took us 2 hours to get from the USC LA area to Downtown Pasadena (about 14 miles). We didn't make it for Happy Hour, but we did make it a bit early for our dinner reservation! Haha when you pack so much fun into a day, even traffic is bearable!
|Photobombed by a waiter! Haha funny guys.|
Aaaand finally, we ended the wonderful LA experience with yummy dineLA.
You can see pics of what we had for dinner in the post before HERE. :)
All in all, well worth the drive! We joked that had this been our first date, it would have been game over then bc I would have already known that he was absolutely perfect for me! Haha day dates are the best! And another experience to share together! <3
|Plus, I got this cool pic taken thanks to having so many perfect backdrops at the Museum! Yay! You're bound to find a perfect photo op when you take the time to explore outside of your destination point.|
Labels: California Science Center, Chinese New Year, date ideas, dating, DineLA, Endeavour, explore LA, Food, LA, love, Lunar New Year, Museum, pastries, Portos, relationships, Restaurant Week, Reviews, Space Shuttle